HISTORY

The Yanko banner

The Yanko, Jerilderie, was originally taken up as a run by Augustus Morris for W.C. Wentworth who became famous in politics.  W.C. Wentworth, an adherent of higher education was the founder of the Sydney University, and is best remembered as the father of the New South Wales Constitution.  At the time of taking up the run he was a leading land speculator.

In the early 1850’s The Yanko was held by William Forlonge, who extended the area by buying adjoining blocks, bringing the overall acreage to well over 80,900hectares.

About the year 1858, the property was acquired by Samuel Wilson in partnership with his brothers.  In 1870 Samuel Wilson bought his brothers out, making him the largest stock and run holder in the Riverina.  He was knighted in 1875, was the Member for Wimmera in the Victorian Legislative Assembly and later a member of the legislative council.  Sir Samuel was a great champion of higher education and the Wilson Hall, at the Melbourne University was named after him.

Two generations of the Brownless family managed The Yanko during the Wilson’s ownership. The Wilson’s lived in England and owned several other large properties which were also managed by Mr Brownless Senior, and later by his son Mr Clive Brownless. In 1949 the New Zealand Australia Land Company (better known as “The Land Company”) purchased the property from the Wilson family.

By the late 1960’s things started to sour for The Land Company, when the effects of the severe 1965-1966 drought were compounded by a subsequent weakening in wool prices and inexorably rising costs.
The beginning of the end came late in 1968 when, without any warning, the board received a takeover offer from Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd.
During the years 1974-1976 the property was subdivided and sold by Dalgety and at the time Ian Cameron and his family purchased the homestead portion of 13,000 hectares.

A person in a white shirt and watch is inspecting the wool on a sheep's backside, with hands spread over the sheep's fleece.
Two men wearing cowboy hats and light-colored shirts are standing in a cattle pen with sheep. One man is older with glasses, and the younger one is leaning on the fence. The background shows a rural landscape with trees and farm buildings.
CURRENT DAY

Prior to purchasing The Yanko in 1976, Ian Snr and Margaret Cameron owned a property at Kyneton, Victoria, where they ran Angus Cattle. After moving to The Yanko, breeding Merino sheep became their focus along with the Angus they brought from Kyneton. Hugh moved to The Yanko when the property was purchased to help his father with management. His siblings Angus and Iona have been involved at various times and The Yanko continues to be a great gathering place for the now wider family. Hugh managed The Yanko until 2020, with his wife, Heather and children Georgina, Elizabeth and Ian. Ian took over the management of the stud flock in 2018, and began managing The Yanko in 2020. Ian, his wife Theresa and baby Rose born in 2026, is the fourth generation Cameron at The Yanko.

Cameron Family Ownership

  • Yanko Owners

    1845 Joseph Carse was the first European to occupy the area.
    1850 The Yanko Run was taken up by William Charles Wentworth and totalled 120,000 acres. William Wentworth rose to prominence for his expedition across the Blue Mountains in 1813 when he was just 23 years old.
    1852 Victorian land baron William Forlonge extended the area by buying adjoining blocks of land, bringing the overall acreage to over 430,000 acres.
    1862 Purchased by brothers John, Charles and Samuel Wilson.
    1869Samuel Wilson purchased the property outright and continued to add to the acreage. He built the original Yanko homestead and the historic store in circa 1875.
    1860’s Sir Samuel Wilson and Sir Samuel McCaughey cut a channel from the Murrumbidgee into the Yanko, (Colombo and Billabong Creeks) creating a permanent water flow.
    1949 New Zealand Australia Land Company purchased The Yanko. The homestead was destroyed by fire on 11 July 1949 and rebuilt, but the store remained intact.
    1968 Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd. purchased The Yanko.
    1976  Ian Cameron purchased the homestead portion of The Yanko.

  • Yanko Managers

    1868 – 1869 Mr. Weir
    1870 – 1876 Mr. John Carse
    1877 – 1881 Mr. Cruickshank
    1882 – 1888 Mr. Samuel Carse
    1889 – 1893 Mr. Willis
    1894 – 1929 Mr. W.H. Brownless
    1929 – 1952 Mr. A.C. Brownless
    circa 1953 Mr. R. Humble
    circa 1954 Mr. B. Thompson
    circa 1956 Mr. D. Harvey
    circa 1957 Mr. B. Perkins
    1960 – 1969 Mr. A. Entwistle
    1970 – 1976 Mr. R. Goldsby

Yanko Staff

Shane Hay started with us in 1992 and oversees the western arm of the property from Woodside. His loyal assistance and interest in The Yanko is much appreciated by us all.

The Coverdale family moved to The Yanko in April, 2024. Jaykeb assists with stock work, tractor driving and machinery maintenance. His wife Brooklyn has a photography business and does the social media for The Yanko Merino. In 2025 Brooke also started assisting with general farm work on a part time basis.

THE YANKO HISTORY

Stewardship & Conservation

Since acquiring The Yanko in 1976, the Cameron family has continually improved every aspect of the property. Conservative stocking rates, ongoing fencing programs, feral pest management and weed control have all been integral to this commitment.